Ginger-licous, this is a simple, easy and tasty soup for any season. It makes for an elegant first course or a light lunch.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-pound bag baby carrots (any type would work)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 2-to-3-inch piece of raw ginger, peeled and grated
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 cups chicken or vegteable stock
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Add the carrots, onion, stock and ginger and cook until the vegetables are just soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer soup to blender and puree. Return to pot and simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Add the 5 spice and water for preferred consistency, then cover and boil for about 20 minutes. Ladle into bowls, top with a fried egg and garnish with cilantro, if desired.